Friday, September 10, 2010

Random Acts of Kindness

For something different, I'm doing a bit of procrastinating [and secretly hoping that load of washing will hang itself out] and watching The Circle.

They were discussing Random Acts of Kindness and it got me thinking about RAoK that have happened to me.

When I had PNut, I had nothing for her. After giving birth, I literally thought 'Shit. Where's she going to sleep? Can I put her on a pillow in a washing basket?'. I needn't have worried. When the visitors started arriving, so did the gifts. The generosity floored me. From people at work [both colleagues, and others who I knew from the floor I worked on, but didn't associate with] I was given a massive bag full of clothes, wipes and all sorts of bits and pieces, as well as a very generous voucher and some cash. Friends also brought gifts for myself and my new baby girl, and members of a forum I frequented also rallied together and gave me a voucher. So spoilt. So kind.

As a mum, you're often the recipient of RAoKs. Helping you on buses & trains, holding doors open. 
The last time I flew to Brisbane, I was trying to wheel a heavy suitcase and a stroller around. Not an easy task when the stroller can't be steered one-handed, but I was soldiering on. Then as I went to board a train, a lovely older gentleman grabbed my suitcase for me and offered to help. He helped me onto that train, off it at the airport, and up to the check-in floor. He was even going to wheel my suitcase over to the check-in counter for me. Bless. 
It's people like that who restore your faith in the world.

Have you been the recipient of a RAoK?

x

No comments:

Post a Comment